Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Merry Christmas for Pistons Fans (and everybody else too)

Heading into the Christmas holiday I don't want to spend TOO much time on sports, but the Pistons just RELEASED Josh Smith yesterday and that bears talking about. Smith was starting at PF, under contract for $14M/yr through 2017. Detroit is responsible for all of that, offset by whatever new contract he's given when he's picked up off of waivers.

We don't know enough about SVG the GM to know if he's the type of guy who'd set fire to a $100 if he didn't like the look of it, but it's pretty rare that any GM gives up something for nothing. I'm assuming that either there was some issue in the locker room that required immediate action, or SVG is in the middle of working out a big trade that would involve taking on a ton of salary & needed to clear space. The locker room theory is the most likely.


Another possibility that I'm exploring is Stan Van Gundy was told by his doctor that he was risking a heart attack/Scanners-like head explosion by keeping Josh on the team. I think this is probably less likely than the locker room poison theory and more likely that the huge trade theory.

Ding, dong, Smith is gone... Now what? He was a shooting disaster (his .417 True Shooting % was 3rd worst on the team), but he was the 3rd best passer and 2nd best defender. Losing him probably helps the offense, but it hurts the defense equally. I don't know if I buy the "addition by subtraction" angle, unless this move somehow spurs Greg Monroe to start playing for real now. Does SVG swing a deal to bring in someone good? Maybe a draft pick? Or an expiring contract? This move was too weird, so I'm assuming Van Gundy is not done.

***

Moving away from sports and into a holiday mood, I'm currently putting together a mix cd to listen to in the car as my family will be bouncing around The Mitten over the next couple of days. I'm trying to avoid standards that we hear all the time, like Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song, or Bing Crosby's White Christmas. They're classics, universally loved, and everybody always mentions them. So, avoiding the so-called "standards," here are the songs that make my list, in no particular order:

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings
Barenaked Ladies feat. Sarah McLachlan


This song was originally released in 2000, but somehow I never heard it until last year. It has a bouncy, synchopated beat that reminds me of the intro to Jeeves & Wooster. Anyway, my wife and I both love it.

Someday At Christmas
Stevie Wonder


Somehow this version was NOT the most popular version of this song on iTunes, due to some dude named Justin Bieber doing a cover. This is a traveshamockery, but since this is Christmas I'll refrain from writing the people at iTunes a sternly-worded email or something. Just know, Stevie's version is THE version, Jack Johnson's version is aight, you know, if you want variety. Bieber's version is like a watered down version of Stevie's, so I don't know why you would pick that one unless you were under 15 years old & didn't know who Stevie was.

White Christmas
The Drifters


Like many of my generation I was first exposed to this song when Kevin McAllister lip synched to it in front of the mirror in Home Alone. This is also a bit sad for me, since the deep-voiced dude that opens the song always reminded me of Fred Hartwig, a tall bass from the choir in the church I grew up attending. Fred died recently, and this song will always remind me of him a little.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
The Carpenters


Karen Carpenter's voice is like buttered honey.

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
Thurl Ravenscroft


Love this song. The Grinch is classic, and this song makes The Grinch Who Stole Christmas my favorite holiday movie.

The Wassail Song
Orla Fallon, David Archuleta, Meav, & Mark Willis


I'm not particularly tied to this version, it was just the best version I could find. We sang this when I was in 5th grade choir and I always liked it. It's a traditional caroling (wassail means the same as carol) song, and the singers would be let inside to warm themselves & sip from the wassail bowl, which would have some kind of mulled wine or something. Sounds good to me.

Christmas in Hollis
Run DMC


Alright, this one isn't making the playlist, but I had to go out strong. Love this one. Nothing says Christmas like Adidas track suits, gold rope, and a phat beat. Merry Christmas y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment