Friday, March 15, 2013

Running in the Dark

So I followed through on a really bad idea. I had decided to drive the course of the 10k I'll be running on Sunday (not a bad idea), and then run the back half of it (not a great idea but not terrible). So I prepped & ate a leisurely dinner, got in my Under Armor and sweats, filled a water bottle, and left the house at around 7:30pm (BAD IDEA!). 

After getting to Plymouth, driving the labyrinthine course and getting a parking spot, it was after 9pm. Unless it's mid-June, that means it's DARK. I parked near the finish line & cut across Ann Arbor Trail to pick up the course at around the 3.5 mile mark (I probably covered 3 miles all told). I think I ran a circle around the first block because I'm unable to read a map in the dark, read stop signs in the dark, and keep pace at the same time. I had to stop a lot.

This morning I did the fartlek training, which involves alternating between sprinting and jogging. I though about running only 2 miles and ultimately decided to go the full 3. It kicked my butt. I kept up with the fartlek aspect until about 2.3 miles, at which point I realized my "sprints" were getting pretty close to the same pace as my jogs, so I jogged the rest of the way. The goal for the 10k is to average an 8:30 mile pace, so I hope my prep helped.

Jeff Backus announced his retirement yesterday, meaning the Lions are returning 2 starters from last year's offensive line. While Backus is a TERRIBLE run blocker, he was decent pass blocker. Not great, but serviceable, which is more than can be said for much of the rest of the Lions' O-line. Despite his being one of the better LT's in the division, most people probably remember him for this unfortunate moment:

 His retirement means the Lions may pick up another offensive linemen in FA, though not probably one of the top guys remaining - Jake Long (rumored to be headed to STL), Ryan Clady (WAY too expensive), or Branden Albert (same). After signing their 4 top targets in free agency, the Lions have next to no cap space to work with. I think it's very likely they try to solve the offensive line issue like they tried to solve the secondary issue last year - internally & through the draft, and when guys got hurt, working the waiver wire like Mayweather working the speed-bag. I don't remember that working out too well though. Last year's secondary was a nightmare, in part due to the Lions' strategy, in part due to plain bad luck with injuries.

At the moment the Lions have 2 OT's under contract - Riley Reiff (heir-apparent to Backus) and Corey Hilliard (heir-apparent to Cherilus). Of concern is the fact that neither was able to win a starting spot last year, despite the Lions' terrible run-blocking & barely adequate pass-blocking. Reiff looks like he could probably play RT this season, but I'm not convinced he's a LT, at least not yet. Hilliard is basically a replacement-level player, and at best could hold the spot for a more qualified RT down the road. Raiola will retire in a year or 2, meaning the Lions still have to get a guard to replace Peterman & should be looking for a replacement at C whenever Raiola hangs it up.

I'm hoping the Lions re-sign Lo-Jack, but even if they do, DE is probably their biggest need after OL. Let's review their situation before & after FA - Before: CB, OL, DE, S, LB, and somewhere in there was WR/KR and RB. Well, they got a S, a CB, a RB, and kind of a DE (although not a great one), but lost their best DE in free agency and their best OL to retirement. Their needs are now: OL (by a lot, actually), DE, LB, CB, S, and WR/KR. As much as I like Dee Milliner, the best scenario now is that Eric Fisher (the LT from CMU) fall to them at pick 5, and they take Margus Hunt in the 2nd round.

Big news in hockey! The Red Wings are finally moving into the Eastern Conference next season. Now you don't have to stay up 'til midnight to watch a road playoff game.

Michigan took down PSU in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament, despite starting VERY cold. I was not extremely confident going into this game, based on how Michigan has played Penn State this season (an 8 point win and a 6 point loss), but they came to play in the 2nd half. I found it odd that Mitch McGary had a double-double in the first half and only got 1 rebound and took no shots in the second, but Horford was playing well and I guess Beilein decided he could only have 1 good forward in the game at a time (I didn't see any of the game because Cafe DeVille locked up 2 hours early due to protesting going on).

Michigan taps Wisconsin this afternoon, you can rest assured I'll be heading downstairs on the early side.

2 comments:

  1. Will you keep up with the fartleks for your marathon training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can count on more fartleks in the future.

    ReplyDelete