Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lions FA haul, Pistons tanking underway, and other stuff

Pretty stoked! The Lions added Reggie Bush for a good price, and filled needs with Glover Quin at safety, Jason Jones (not THAT Jason Jones) at DE I guess, and re-signed Chris Houston to a 5-yr deal. None of these guys were over-priced, by the way.

They did let Cliff Avril walk, and even though 2 years for $15 million is an affordable contract for a pass rusher, I suspect they were thinking about all those higher draft picks like Stafford and Suh that they need to pay in a couple years. Delmas and Durant are still not spoken for, and if the price is right I think the Lions should re-up with both.

There's still some FA time left obviously and the Lions aren't done, but it looks like they've made their major moves. So what does this mean for the draft? Well, they pretty much have to go for DE in the 1st or 2nd round and offensive line in one of the top 3 rounds (remember, no 4th round pick). They still need a WR and a KR also, (too late on Cribbs, alas) and LB is somewhat of a need. But I feel better going into the draft than I did last year (when they did absolutely nothing to address GLARING holes in the secondary).

Not much I want to say about the Pistons. They lost again, which I guess is good because it got them to that #6 spot among teams with terrible records. The Wizards and the Kings both helped them out by winning. The Pistons have lost 7 straight now, they currently look like the WORST team in basketball (yes, worse than even Charlotte), and they may end up with the 3rd overall pick (lottery notwithstanding). I'll occasionally indulge in a little ESPN Mock Lottery to get a feel for which teams could pick who and so on, and today the Pistons usually end up with someone in the McLemore-Porter-Oladipo group instead of the Bennett-Harris-Michael Carter-Williams group.


With Jimmy Howard out, the Wings gave up 3 goals in the 3rd period and lost to an inferior Calgary team last night. They did, however, go 1-2 on the power play and broke their road scoreless streak on the PP. So there's that. They still suck though.

This is the course I'm running this Sunday. Gina & I are going to check it out this evening, and I'm going to attempt to run the back half to get a feel. Mental note to myself - I'm hanging out with a friend Friday night, take it easy on the beer. Michigan is playing PSU at 2:30 this afternoon to open their Big Ten Tournament. I may or may not hustle downstairs to watch the 1st half during my afternoon break. TBD.

2 comments:

  1. I am pumped for the Lions this year. I was going to abandon them, but I may as well see how the draft goes. Right now I feel like they really can't pick badly with all the talent they've added. BAP may actually be a good thing this year. If they go WR though, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really worried about their O line. They seem to be applying the same strategy that they used on the secondary last year - namely using a few mid-late round picks on it and working the waiver wire as needed.

    ReplyDelete