Monday, June 3, 2013

The Search for Coach

Not much going on in the Detroit Sports Scene right now. The Tigers are locked in a tight division race with Cleveland, but it's still early. The Wings lamentably were knocked out of the playoffs after being up 3 games to 1. The Lions are still patching together a team...

Which brings us to the Pistons. They're still mired in the search for their next coach. At this point I'm a little embarassed for them. Budenholzer (my favorite candidate for the job) was offered a job with Atlanta & took it. I'm not sure if he would've picked Detroit over Atlanta had Dumars extended an offer, but we'll never know now. Larry Drew (another name to pop up) took a job with the Bucks. Brian Shaw still can't meet with teams yet (his team is still alive vs. Miami), but he's one of the 2 favorites to win the Clippers' job.

That leave us with 3 main candidates:

  • Nate McMillan - He's been one of the top guys available since the process started. He's not a sexy hire, but he's a solid coach.
  • Maurice Cheeks - Joe D likes him, and it's probably close to even between him and McMillan. Cheeks is a mediocre coach, but he WOULD be a step up from Frank. Barely.
  • Lionel Hollins - He looks very similar in style to McMillan. Got severely out-coached in the playoffs by Popovich, much like McMillan going against Rick Adelman. He wants to stay in Memphis, but Dumars should at least give him a look
Today began week 1 of my 20 week marathon training program. After playing 2 hours of basketball on Saturday and 2 1/2 hours of soccer on Sunday, I wasn't really feeling up to it. Still, I got up, limped out the door and ground out 3 miles in 26:38, which isn't great for me, but I wasn't feeling great. Actually, I felt good about doing as well as I did.

After my shower, I weighed myself and my jaw about dropped. I haven't weighed under 200 lbs since my senior year of high school. I was a muscular 195-220 lbs that year. Well, now I'm a slightly less-muscular 195. I'd like to pack on a little more muscle, but overall I'm pretty happy right there.

I should say a little about soccer too. I'm playing in a 2-day tournament this weekend and have gotten out exactly twice to kick a ball around. Yesterday was really the only actual practice I've had in a year, so I still feel a bit rusty. I got pretty tired in the 2nd half of our scrimmage, but hopefully that was a product of playing a ton of basketball on Saturday and not me just being old.

No comments:

Post a Comment