Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Personal sports update & NBA mocks...

How about a little personal sports update before getting to the nitty gritty? I may have mentioned before that I was playing in a soccer tournament the weekend before last. Well, it didn't go so great. We made the semis but lost there 4-0. I played okay all weekend. Made some mistakes, but only one was costly. I made several good plays too, but I've been thinking about getting into a soccer club or playing on a regular basis. I'd like to get good enough to play center back, but I need more reps. I played a little there in our last game, but I don't always know where the play is going and I don't always get a good read on the ball.

I played a decent amount. I played the entire first game, then our captain switched up our alignment & I was the odd man out, so I missed the second game. I played in about a third of the 3rd game and 3/4 of the last game. Like I said, I played a little center back (I ended up having a decent amount of energy despite being the oldest guy on the field at the time), but mainly right fullback

Last weekend I went on my longest run ever. I was still a little tight from soccer the previous weekend (my right hamstring clenched up on me in the last game), so my goal was to average a 9 min mile pace. I finished 10 miles in 1:35:55, which is a little over a 9:30 pace. I was on trace for a while, but my legs died in the final 2 miles. Yesterday I spent a little more time stretching & managed 4 miles in 33:49, which is just under 8:30 pace. I saw a tortoise & a hare on my run (not sure what that signifies). My long run this weekend is 8 miles, and I'd like to hold an 8:30 pace this time.

On to the professional sports scene...

There have been umpteen NBA mock drafts by now, and the Pistons have picked just about 6 different players. There's hardly a consensus in this draft. SI has them currently taking Michael Carter-Williams, a 6'6" PG from Syracuse who can't shoot and turns it over a TON. Chad Ford most recently has them taking Trey Burke. Now that's more like it.


For a while Burke has been considered one of the top 6 talents in the draft. As so often happens, values have shifted around based on different teams' needs and projections of upside. So how does Burke end up slipping to Detroit? Well, it starts with Orlando taking Oladipo. Ford thinks they'll trade for a PG, so Burke would be a luxury at that point. The next piece to fall is New Orleans, who he has taking Alex Len. The Pelicans had a decent PG last year in Greivis Vasquez, but the word is they aren't satisfied with him. Ford thinks they'll try to make Austin Rivers into their starting PG (WHAT???) and draft a big to pair with Anthony Davis. The final piece is Sacramento. They also have a PG in Isaiah Thomas (not Isiah, don't get giddy), but he's only OK at best. Still, for some reason he has them taking MCW over Burke.

I'd love to get Burke. He'd be about 4th or 5th on my list out of all the players in the draft. I've thought for a while now that he could slip to the Pistons at #8, so keep your fingers crossed.


San Antonio blew it last night. I don't know how they win game 7 after choking like that. There were several times I thought they were going to put the game away and Miami came back like mad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment